Thursday, 17 March 2016

Pin cushion

During my craft retreat I wanted to make myself a pin cushion so this was my third project of the weekend. Thankfully the others knew how to make one so I had plenty of guidance and help throughout.

Now I love all things Tim Holtz and that includes his fabric so didn't want the finished cushion to be so small that I couldn't see the different patterns. We found a plate in the kitchen of the retreat venue and after drawing the circle onto paper, we folded it into eight and then cut out one triangle to make the template. I decided to use the same material pattern on the top and bottom of each segment so cut the fabric pieces accordingly. 

Next I machined the triangles together in pairs before machining the all top pieces together, then the all bottom pieces together and finally the top and bottom circles together. Now my pin cushion required an awful lot of stuffing and once full I had to stitch the small opening up by hand. 

Once that was done I decided to add an embellishment so I die cut a Tim Holtz tattered floral flower and chose a button for the top.

To add the binding I took a long piece of embroidery thread and a very long needle. We put a knot at one end and then went though the centre from the bottom and then around each segment seam back to the middle until we had the shape we required. Still using the same length of thread we attached the flower and the button.
I am thrilled with the finished pin cushion, and yes it is huge (about 8 inches) and it certainly gave us an evening of laughter!

Thanks for looking
Tracey x

Monday, 14 March 2016

Fabric Spool Book

I was given a beautiful wooden spool last November and knew immediately that I wanted to make a fabric spool book. I had seen a few online so have had an idea in my head for a number of months now.

I started with a long piece of calico onto which I stamped some PaperArtsy JoFY flower stamps using black archival ink. I had wanted to add some colour but I didn't have any suitable pens or ink pads on my weekend away. Once completed I laid this piece onto some wadding and then onto a contrasting piece of fabric and finally onto a larger piece of the calico. I placed a piece of ribbon between the sandwich at one end and a piece of hessian which was wrapped around my spool at the other end. I then used my sewing machine to stitch the layers together around the edge adding a few different stitches for interest. I also stitched around each of the leaf stamps I'd inked to give a quilted look.

Next I die cut the Tim Holtz tattered florals using a piece of the hessian, calico and some of the Tim Holtz eclectic elements fabrics. I stitched the flower to the end of the book adding a button in the middle to provide a closure with the ribbon. I attached a piece of lace at the other end to cover some of the hessian.

Next I die cut the Tim Holtz rosettes in Tim Holtz card stock, stamped a Tim Holtz clock face and cut a bird plus branches from a Stampin'Up punch. I used distress ink to add my favourite grunge look and put each of the rosette together adding a couple of idea-ology pieces. I glued all 3 rosettes to a wooden skewer which I then glued into the middle of the spool.

Lastly I distressed a small wooden spool which I attached to the top of the spool along with a few clear beads.
I am so pleased with my finished project.

Thanks for looking!
Tracey x

Sunday, 13 March 2016

Village Dwelling

I purchased the Tim Holtz Village Dwelling die quite a while ago now after seeing some great projects created with it in the run up to Christmas.

I finally had the opportunity to have a play during my craft retreat last weekend and I have to admit that as I haven't blogged for a while, I forgot to take step by step photos so this will be a short post. 
I started by die cutting the house in mount board, although I think this is rather too thick, and plain so I then decided to die cut it again using some Tim Holtz card stock plus some bazzil basics. I have to say that the house is actually smaller than I expected for some reason. I constructed the house using glossy accents and then used distress ink to give it a grungy feel.

I look forward to having another go with this little die and maybe I will create my own little village and buy the accessories too.
Thanks for looking!
Tracey x