Followers

Sunday 28 October 2012

Altered Domino

Today's post is a Bramford challenge/swap that I was very behind with, mainly because I missed the crop for a couple of months and the July challenge Domino was then posted to me.  I am also entering this piece in to the Out of a hat creations Challenge 31 Christmas in October - week 4, this time the challenge is to create a "Christmas Gift" or "Stocking Filler".  So I have seen these altered plenty of times and really love how they look when worn as jewellery so I had a really great idea of what I wanted to achieve but I have to say it didn't work out as I expected!!  They say practise makes perfect so I'll definitely be trying another one soon.

I started by applying Ranger Alcohol inks and once dry I went round the edges with gold Adirondack dabber and left to dry.  My first attempt was from a tutorial I'd seen where the lady stamped the image onto white tissue paper but when I adhered it to the domino the base didn't show through, I think she used floor wax but I didn't have any and obviously need to find something that makes the tissue paper translucent.  Anyway it didn't work so I cleaned the domino and started from scratch.  For my second attempt I stamped the 'Imagine' stamp directly onto the domino but that didn't work either so again I started over.  My third and final attempt saw me stamp the image onto white card stock and then cover with the alcohol inks.  I adhered the card stock to the domino using Claudine Hellmuth multi-medium and filed the edges.  Next I covered the whole domino with glossy accents and once dry attached the metal hanger using glossy accents and threaded the rope.  You may notice that I have left the hole at the bottom and might attach some beads before the swap but I don't have any at the moment.
Thanks for looking!
Tracey x

6 comments:

  1. This is a lovely piece of jewellery and I think it looks terrific just as it is.

    Great to have you join us this week at the Hatters.

    Best Wishes Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tracey Beautiful altered domino, it really does look fab. Worth tose 3 attempts. So gald you have joined in with OOAH this week. Hugs Sandra X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tracey,fab altered domino,love it
    Thanks for joinging us at Out of a Hat
    see you next saturday ?
    Janet x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looove this Tracy. Fabulous piece of jewellery. Definately worth all of your efforts. Your perseverance paid off. Thank you so much for sharing with the Hatters again this week.
    Regards Florence x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely. Who wouldn't love to receive this in their Christmas stocking?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment, it's much appreciated as I'd love to hear what you think of my creations! x